The high volume of electrical equipment in a typical office can expose workers to serious electrical hazards, including shocks, burns and fire. Following these safety tips can prevent you from any hazards or injuries in the office:
Safely use power cords
Remove power cords from outlets by pulling the plug, not the cord.
Never attach a cord to another surface with nails or staples.
Avoid kinking, twisting, binding or walking on cords. Repair or replace damaged or brittle electrical cords.
Check appliances to make sure all cords are in good condition.
Never remove the third prong from a three-pronged plug. The third prong grounds the device and protects from faulty electrical devices.
Put plastic safety caps in all unused wall outlets.
Make sure extension cords are properly rated for intended use.
Remember that Water and Electricity Don’t Mix.
Keep electrical appliances and power tools away from water.
Never use electrical appliances in the shower or bath.
Dry hands thoroughly before reaching for any electrical appliance.
Know What to Do in the Case of Electrical Fires
Do not throw water on an electrical fire. You could be electrocuted.
If an appliance catches fire, safely unplug it as soon as possible. Call 911 for the fire department.
If you see smoke, fire, or smell a strange odor coming from wires, appliances or electric motors – if it’s safe to do so – turn off the appliance and the main switch at the circuit breaker or fuse box.
If you don’t have a fire extinguisher, you can use baking soda to extinguish an electrical fire.
Also, ensure your electrical equipment and appliances are safely installed.