- Immediately call an electrician if you have problems with blown fuses or circuit breakers, unusually warm outlets or switches, or (from within a wall) you detect a sizzling sound or burning odor.
- Older homes should have their electrical systems examined by a licensed electrician and every home should be examined at least once every 10 years.
- Talk to your electrician about installing Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters in your home. (AFCI detects dangerous electrical arcing and will shut down the circuit before a fire can ignite.)
- Buy electrical products from legitimate retailers and avoid products with no identifying marks. Use of counterfeit items can result in shock, fire and electrocution.
- Use this home safety checklist from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission for recommended methods to promote electrical safety in your home.
For more detailed information, please visit the following link: