"Nearly seven children a day are treated in emergency rooms for electric shock or burns caused by tampering with a wall outlet, according to the Electric Safety Foundation International. In 2007, over 98,000 children ages 14 and under were treated for burn injuries in emergency rooms. The most common causes of burn injuries among kids 14 and under are hair curlers, curling irons, room heaters, ovens/ranges and irons."
SCE offers programs to children ages 4 and up on electrical safety in fun ways, such as coloring books, DVDs and activity books. It has seemed to be an effective way to educate children on electricity. But, it also important for parents to teach and keep their kids safe at home. “You just have to make sure to educate them as a parent,” Messner said of kids. “[Electricity] is a wonderful resource that makes our society better. You just have to respect it.” Children are becoming more aware and less likely to injure themselves once they have been properly educated.
Find the full article here: http://newsroom.edison.com/stories/helping-keep-kids-safe-around-electricity